Thursday, June 27, 2013

Fixing a homemade mayo fail

The other day I wrote about my first homemade mayo fail. My friend, Rick, read it and suggested a very easy fix. Even though it had been in the fridge for nearly two days, I got it out and left it to come to room temperature, along with a whole egg.  

After a couple of hours in a web meeting where the main theme seemed to be, "Am I going to have a job much longer," I happily went back to my mayo rescue, starting with separating the egg yolk from the white. 

Here are Rick's instructions, which I followed to a "T": 

Begin with everything at room temperature (including the bowl) and whisk together an egg yolk and a few drops of oil. Whisk gently, adding a few more splashes of oil, and it should start to come together without much effort. Pour in the dregs a trickle at a time. Once you're sure it's staying thick, you can use the immersion blender to finish your mayonnaise with the rest of the dregs. Add as much oil/lemon/seasoning as it takes to reach your desired result.

It actually began to come together very quickly when I started whisking, which was, I'm not going to lie, very thrilling. When I was completely done incorporating the dregs and had a fine-looking mayo, I took a taste, added some garlic powder, salt and lemon juice until it tasted just as I wanted it to taste, and put it back into a container in the fridge. No money wasted and time well-spent. 

And if I lose my job, well, there's always another waiting in the wings.  Here are before and after pictures of my mayo. 

In this one, the thin, watery stuff I'm pouring from that container is the mayo fail dregs:  


And this one is the perfect, creamy saved mayo:  



No comments:

Post a Comment